Spend 5 amazing days with Nikon representative Mark Seymour capturing and documenting life on the streets of the bustling Kolkata in this unique cultural experience. This will be a busy fully organized photo trip covering the a variety of inspiring locations which will give you the opportunity to create an amazing portfolio .
Kolkata, capital of West Bengal, is the third most populated city in India, with an urban population 14.3 million, and believe me you absolutely feel it! A city of diverse lifestyles, being the principal commercial city with modern tower-blocks, hotels and businesses, alongside some of the oldest and most extensive areas of homelessness and communities that have built their homes in temporary shacks alongside the city’s canals and railway lines.
Markets are the life-centres of Kolkata and the city’s population hurries its way via tuk tuks, cars, trams and trains, and we visit some of the different markets and stations to photograph daily life. Kolkata has an important university and college area with a busy book market.
The River Hooghly runs through Kolkata, and the water is considered holy as the river forms a distributary of The Ganges, so it forms an important part of everyday life of the locals; washing their clothes and cooking implements, bathing and washing their teeth in the river, alongside rituals and ceremonies.
One of the oldest communities in the city is the potters of the Kurmotuli quarter, who sculpt the statues for the religious ceremonies, as well as makers of chai cups and the cotton mills, the families live and work within this area.
Itinerary - KOLKATA 27th Nov – 1st Dec (five day course) £1395.00
Day 1 27.11.18
Breakfast and introduction to documentary street photography in Kolkata. Minibus takes us Kumortuli, the potters’ quarter of Kolkata. Each evening we will meet to discuss the day, share images before having dinner together and conversation all things photography.
Day 2 28.11.18
Early start minibus to Malki Ghat flower market, temple and Ghats along the Hooghly River by the city’s impressive Howrah Bridge. Return for brunch then local street photography. Evening as Day 1.
Day 3 29.11.18
Early start minibus to the vegetable market and the busy Sealdah train station. Return for brunch then local street photography. Evening as Day 1.
Day 4 30.11.18
Breakfast then the Railway community, which forms part of the work that The Hope Foundation do in the city. Return for local street photography. Evening as Day 1.
Day 5 01.12.18
Breakfast then minibus to College Street, start at the famous Coffee Shop then photographing the book market. Afternoon of editing and reviewing images from the course. A final meal together in the evening at a local restaurant. The order of days may change due to events locally to make the best of each location over the five days in Kolkata.
• Price includes five days tuition by Nikon Ambassador Mark Seymour and daily transport by minibus is included in the course fee.
• Flights, hotels, food and drink, any additional costs are paid directly by the attendee
• Full insurance cover is the responsibility of the attendee
• Attendees need to be fit and prepared to walk all day
• India requires a valid visa and a passport
• Attendees provide their own camera and editing equipment, please note this does not have to be Nikon, include a digital camera, recommended 35mm prime lens, laptop, editing software such as Lightroom
• All attendees will stay at the family run Executive Suites, rooms will be booked as part of the course booking but payable by attendee direct, please note the hotel require cash payment in local currency. The hotel also provides home cooked breakfast and evening meal for a daily fee which is added to the total individual room bill and can organise water, beers and laundry which will be added to the attendee’s bill.
• We recommend you land at least a day ahead of the first day of the course and fly out the day after the course ends
· This is an immersive approach; from where we stay and eat to where we go out and shoot, so every aspect of the workshop is designed to focus on a shared photographic experience.
· Every day consists of shooting around a location with some targeted photographic elements and mini projects to explore, critique and technique, and then editing in the later part of the day/evening.
· As a team there is an agreement to share and discuss our images together in an open forum.
· The main focus is observational documentary street photography, but with elements of reportage and travel photography.
· Using some of my own images I demonstrate the key technical elements of documentary photography that make great exhibition/publication and competition winning images prior to first days shoot.
· Be prepared to be challenged, you will leave with new confidence and skills to continue with your photography.
· Using wide angle prime lenses you will get up close to the action to photograph, no hiding behind long lenses.
· Small group numbers mean we work in twos and I can spend time with everyone over a day’s photography and can observe you and give immediate feedback as we photograph, and you get to mix with everyone in the growth learning from and inspiring each other.
· My knowledge of the locations, organisation of transport as needed, as well as using areas within walking distance so that so we make the best use of our time
·Keep updated with my newsletters with advanced information about new courses, and be part of a street photography group online to continue sharing images and learning more about documentary street photography.
·Digital camera that you are familiar with using, a 35mm prime lens is recommended
·Have an understanding of what is documentary/street photography
·Laptop for downloading images and editing
·Software for editing – recommend Photo Mechanic, Lightroom and Silver-Effex
·Smart phone with apps Google maps and What’s app
·An interest in all things photography and desire to improve your skills; this is a shared experience and we tend to eat and socialise together and it’s a great opportunity to discuss our passion and inspiration in photography and photographers
·Ready to step out of you comfort zone with support and encouragement
·Hotels, food and transport are locally sourced and provide an authentic experience, clean and comfortable, but simple accommodation, no luxury hotel chains!
·Comfortable walking shoes and be fit, active, energetic and healthy, every day will involve a lot of intense walking, and can be hot and uncomfortable
·Comprehensive health and travel insurance – Mark and Nikon School UK are not responsible for personal accidents and health related issues during the workshop, although if such occur we will do our best to help out
·https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/ and contact your GP for a travel clinic appointment in plenty of time before travelling
·Book your own flights to and from international workshops; recommend to arrive at least a day before and leave the day after the course ends
·Check your passport is valid and has at least six months, for some courses you will need a visa – check online for more travel requirements and information https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice
· Local currency, food, drink and accommodation payable locally usually require cash payments
· Access to social media to join exclusive photography group online sharing information, both prior to and after the workshop
· Copy of Shoot the Street; travel guide for photographers will give you lots of tips to help you get prepared
·Sense of humour and patience, you are sharing an experience as part of a team on this workshop, and be flexible sometimes we have to make changes or things just don’t go as expected
Payment and cancellations:
· You can either pay in full directly through the website or you can call Nikon School on 03301230934 to make a non-refundable £500 deposit.
· If you decide to pay a deposit first, full payment is needed 4 month prior to the start date of the course.
· Please note that for any international courses there will no refund available 4 months prior to course date.
· If the workshop is cancelled individual travel arrangements will not be refunded, you should claim from your travel insurance
· Prices are payable in UK pounds
Average customer rating for this course:
"Kolkata provides a variety of fascinating opportunities for street photography, often with difficult lighting conditions. Mark provided excellent guidance and encouragement, and really pushed me beyond my comfort zone - particularly making contact with people and getting in close to photograph them using a fairly wide angle prime lens. This is exactly what I had hoped for and he has helped me develop my confidence, and come back with some great images. A thoroughly recommended course."
Current rating based on a total of
1 CUSTOMER REVIEWS
The Executive Suites, Ph no: +919903393157 & +913324735077 (Land Line), 6, Russa Road (South), Third Lane, Kolkata, 700 033